The Operations Coordinator is a member of the Utica Zoo’s administrative team and serves as HR Confidential to the executive director. The position is responsible for assisting department managers and executing daily operations. This position will assist with human resources, development, daily financial procedures, event coordination and volunteer management. This position contributes to the success of the Utica Zoo by working with all departments to provide backend support for the staff, the animals and our visitors.
This position is full time: Hourly, non-exempt, and benefit eligible, and will typically be scheduled Monday through Friday, flexibility required.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Organize, coordinate meetings, activities, and appointments, assuring necessary materials, information, and space are available.
- Answer phone calls, emails, maintain office filing system, sort, and process mail, compose letters/memos as appropriate, aid in producing mailings, etc.
- Constantly exhibit a visitor experience attitude, by conducting yourself at the highest level of integrity and empathy, communicate with visitors, and answer questions in a courteous manner with both internal and external parties.
- Ensure copy room is always functioning and fully equipped.
- Process purchasing orders.
- Provide excellent onboarding process for new staff and assist with new hire paperwork.
- Onboard new employees into ADP.
- Perform background checks for potential new hires.
- Assist with interviews for potential applicants.
- Call applicants references.
- Monitor recruitment tools utilized by Utica Zoo for applicants.
- Ensure all new employees complete the sexual harassment training within 30 days of hire.
- Record retention of employee files.
- Process payroll/timecard adjustments.
- Participate in employee recognition activities and events.
- Participate in daily finance procedures including resetting bags, safe count, coordinating invoice signs offs, overseeing outgoing payments, etc.
- Manage A/R and A/P filing, scanning to outsourced bookkeeping company.
- Accurately maintain records in donor database.
- Assist with administrative aspects for the procurement of grants, fundraising, donor cultivation and donor acknowledgement.
- Coordinate spontaneous and annual work groups.
- Coordinate administrative internship program.
- Coordinate Ambassador volunteer program.
- Coordinate clerical volunteers.
- Coordinate general volunteers for special events.
- Assist with volunteer appreciation events and activities.
- Assist with event planning for all zoo & sponsored events, including event set up, and break down.
- Support solicitation & after event follow up of sponsors & vendors for events.
Other Duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES:
- Position requires a minimum high school diploma (Associate’s degree preferred) with two years of professional work experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, positive attitude and organizational skills
- Ability to relate positively with a diverse staff and diverse groups of visitors
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to exercise good judgment, fairness and tact.
- Good communication skills within department, between departments, and as a spokesperson for the Zoo, ability to work as a part of a team required.
- Strong computer background and proficiency required with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Previous database work is preferred.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 25lbs. Must be able to work in inclement weather.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and special events as the schedule demands
- Must successfully pass a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Full-time, not a member of the collective bargaining unit.
Pay: Starts at $16.00/hour
- Health insurance
- Health savings account, if choosing HDP
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount for Utica Zoo, AZA facilities and local recreational sites