Are you a college student interested in pursuing a career in education? Gain experience this summer at the Utica Zoo! Our education team is looking to hire an outgoing individual to assist with our seasonal Zoo Camp programs. As a Zoo Camp counselor, you will have the opportunity to teach children of all ages in a new and exciting way!
This is a seasonal position, Monday through Friday (8:30 am to 4:30 pm). Preference is given to individuals with a degree or working towards a degree in the formal or environmental education field, experience in a camp or formal classroom setting, and experience working with individuals with special needs.
See the full job description HERE
- Minimum age of 18 years
- A degree or working towards a degree in a formal or environmental education field
- Experience working with children in a camp or classroom setting
- Ability to work well with individuals of all ages and abilities
- Successfully pass a background check
- Proof of a negative TB test
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Dates of service: July 20th – August 28th
- Schedule : 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday -Friday
- Rate of Pay: $11.80 /hour – to be paid bi-weekly
- Facilitate hands-on camp activities, including crafts, games, guided tours, and animal enrichment projects
- Actively engage with campers during activities
- Supervise campers and provide excellent group/classroom management
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom
- Assist with formal presentations with ambassador animals
- Assist with classroom and activity set up and clean up
- Other duties as assigned by the Zoo Camp Coordinator
Please fill out an application here
Every candidate will need three references. Below is the link for the reference form. Please copy the link and send it to people who will be filling out your references. References need to be of people who can attest to your character and your ability to work with children. Please do not use family members.
Reference Link: https://forms.gle/fKUqpQYmB61ZcAGc6
Every staff member will need to submit to a background check. The form for background checks will be attached to employment paperwork.
For more information or if you have any questions, contact the Kathleen McGill at firstname.lastname@example.org – Utica Zoo Education Department at 315-738-0472 ext. 36.