Zookeeper 1 & 2
All animal keeper levels are responsible for animal husbandry, including training and enrichment. Additionally, animal keepers are responsible for maintenance of habitats, holdings, and public areas as assigned. All keeper levels will expect to be responsible for normal keeper duties as part of the daily responsibilities.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Effectively monitor health and behavior of the animal collection and communicate changes to supervisor and veterinary staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
- Participate in and support collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including training, enrichment, research, and education.
- Complete behavioral management training and utilize operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
- Actively support and implement area policies, procedures, and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care for the collection and the safety of staff and guests.
- Maintain a high-performance level of general keeper duties including excellent animal care and guest interactions including scheduled on-ground talks.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain positive relationships within the work environment.
- Positively promote and foster work that improves department function and productivity.
- Oversee activities of interns and volunteers.
- When possible, actively participate in workshops, seminars, activities and conferences aimed at continually improving job knowledge and professional development.
- Must be willing to fully support Utica Zoo’s strategic plan, mission and values, and work with all zoo staff to support these plans.
- Responsible for special projects, procedures, and goals set forth by the animal department managers.
- Support Utica Zoo’s conservation and research initiatives.
- Actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate in a team environment.
- Support Utica Zoo and its departments which include marketing, education, veterinary services, facilities and external department initiatives.
- Communicates effectively with supervisory staff and co-workers, both written and orally.
- Must be dependable and willing to work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
- All keepers will be expected to become familiar with husbandry standards and AZA Animal Care Manuals.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by management.
Keeper 2 will require all above duties including:
- Keeper 2 will show ability to gain additional responsibilities above a Keeper 1. This may include coordination of programs or service on committees.
- Keeper 2 would be eligible for participation in SSP and studbook management, at the approval of the Utica Zoo and AZA.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES:
- Four-year degree in biology, psychology, or related field is preferred; sufficient relevant experience will be considered.
- A minimum of 2 years prior related animal care experience as determined by Utica Zoo is required. Paid experience at an AZA accredited facility is preferred.
- Good communication skills, an enthusiasm for interacting with the public and a willingness to give regular talks to guests, special groups, etc.
- Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques is preferred.
- Must have strong written and oral skills.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Demonstrate the ability to use light power tools after suitable training.
- Must have proof of COVID vaccination and and TB test or ability to get them within 6 months of starting.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Utica Zoo is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
All employees must have proof of COVID vaccination
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Utica, NY 13501: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $13.25 – $16.99 per hour; Union negotiations are pending; starting salary modifications may occur when negotiations are complete.
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
How to Apply:
Please send resume AND cover letter with salary requirements to: HR@uticazoo.org OR fill out the application below.
Application materials without salary requirements will not be considered
Applications also accepted through Indeed.