Gift Shop & Visitor Experience Associate
The Utica Zoo is seeking to hire an enthusiastic and outgoing individual to join our team as a Gift Shop & Visitor Experience Associate. This position is responsible for the daily operation of the gift shop and gate along with assisting with events and visitor experience needs. Must be 18 years of age or older.
Part-time, hourly (non-exempt). This position is required to work weekends, weekdays, holidays, and some evenings during special events. Position is part of a union.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Serve the public by providing courteous and efficient service
- Accurate accounting of all monies and transactions
- Respond promptly and with exceptional customer service to phone calls and emails
- Maintenance of cash registers, cash control, and daily register checkouts
- Tagging and displaying of merchandise and inventory control for Gift Shop.
- Keeping the gate/gift shop clean, neat, attractive, and in compliance with all regulations.
- Assist with membership fulfillment process
- Assist with annual reciprocal list management and processing
EVENTS & RENTALS:
- Support the event staff with the overall service of the event
- Assist with event set up, breakdown and waste pickup
- Assist with clean up when needed
- Conduct surveys with incoming/outgoing visitors
- Assemble and manage promotional tables setup
- Light yardwork of visitor pathways and garden assistance
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES:
- Good math, writing, telephone and speaking skills. Ability to operate a cash register and typical office equipment
- Good interpersonal and supervisory skills to work well with others
- Ability to work on Windows-based software
- Good organizational skills and the ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule
- The ability to handle emergencies and situations with efficiency, tact and courtesy.
- Reliable, honest, and bondable.
- Must have consistent transportation.
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Utica, NY 13501: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $14.20 per hour; Union negotiations are pending; starting salary modifications may occur when negotiations are complete.
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Retirement plan