Under the direction of the Superintendent of Buildings, Grounds and Project Management, provides daily maintenance and repairs for the Utica Zoo campus. This includes, but is not limited to vehicles, buildings, HVAC, fences, animal habitats, and other structures as assigned. This position is critical creating a positive first impression and overall welcoming experience for visitors to the zoo.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Perform general maintenance duties as directed by supervisor.
- Provide support for special events and rentals as scheduled or requested. This may include affixing lights, moving equipment, staging, parking, and other duties as requested.
- Utilize Zoo vehicles to complete assigned duties, including tractor and dump truck.
- Aid in clearing grounds of environmental debris and snow; prepare campus for and monitor impact of inclement weather.
- Storage, inventory and ordering of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Monitor the state of grounds, buildings, structures and fences; relay any repairs needed to supervisor. Ensure repairs/modifications are completed.
- Assist Environmental Technicians with projects as requested or assigned.
- Ensure familiarity with duties/tasks checklists: Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Annual.
- Ensure all equipment and vehicles are in good condition and functioning properly. Report any issues to supervisor and ensure repairs/modifications are completed in a timely manner.
- Aid in maintaining storage areas, work spaces, shop and grounds in a neat and orderly fashion. Develop new strategies to improve storage, transfer, and care of equipment.
- Learn correct use and maintenance of radio equipment.
- Assist and participate in all departmental activities, including meetings.
- Maintain proper reporting and records when required, in line with Zoo protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
Maintenance Technicians Will:
- Assure work, equipment, work areas, and self, represent the Zoo in a safe, clean, professional, and orderly manner at all times.
- Adhere to Zoo, OSHA and other regulatory safety standards, procedures, and safety protocols.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and order throughout the campus.
- Adhere to appropriate uniform/dress code protocols.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times while representing the Utica Zoo.
- Possess a task-oriented, problem-solving attitude, willing to lead by example.
- Remain open to suggestions from staff on improving the Utica Zoo’s work environment, while aiding other staff in working towards our mission.
- Demonstrate personal flexibility, ensuring a progressive, dynamic work environment.
- Readily communicate concerns and propose solutions.
- Provide excellent guest experiences.
Education and Pre-Requisites:
- Strong interest in care of buildings and grounds, with a minimum of 1 year of experience. Experience with related equipment and vehicles preferred. Priority given to candidates holding applicable training, certifications or licenses.
- Goal-oriented, exhibiting good follow-through and time management skills.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings and special events as scheduled or requested.
- Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform duties.
- Basic ability to repair and maintain zoo equipment, structures and facilities.
- Ability to relate positively with a diverse staff and diverse groups of visitors.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform basic math.
- Able to regularly engage in all physical requirements and lift/carry a minimum of 80 pounds.
- Able to actively work in inclement weather conditions year-round.
- High school or GED diploma, or equivalent combination of training and/or experience required.
- Must successfully pass a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Must be current on Covid-19 vaccinations and participate in annual TB testing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Full-Time OR Part-Time
Pay: Starting at $14.20 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- CSEA representation
Benefits (If Full-Time):
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance