Facility Maintenance Technician
Under the direction of the Superintendent of Buildings, Grounds and Project Management, provides daily maintenance and repairs for the Utica Zoo campus. This includes, but is not limited to: vehicles, buildings, lighting/sound equipment, HVAC, fences, animal habitats, and other structures as assigned; restrooms, operations and event buildings, grounds, planters, structures and fences. This position is critical creating a positive first impression and overall welcoming experience for visitors to the zoo.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Perform general maintenance duties as directed by supervisor, including, but not limited to: repairs to structures and equipment, cleaning and maintenance of same, painting, construction, digging, organization of storage areas, maintain light/sound/HVAC, tree/limb removal, disposal of trash/recycling, monitoring integrity of animal, visitor and perimeter barriers.
- Provide support for special events and rentals as scheduled or requested. This may include affixing lights, moving equipment, staging, parking, and other duties as requested.
- Aid Environmental Technicians in affixing and maintaining all zoo graphics.
- Utilize Zoo vehicles to complete assigned duties, including tractor and dump truck.
- Aid in clearing grounds of environmental debris and snow; prepare campus for and monitor impact of inclement weather.
- Monitor health of plants and trees on and surrounding the Zoo campus; aid in clearing weeds, fallen branches/leaves, and compromised trees. Develop an understanding of plant toxicity to animals to maintain a safe environment for the animals, and to aid in providing animal care staff with browse, limbs, and other resources to aid in husbandry goals.
- Storage, inventory and ordering of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Schedule daily operational duties, special projects, and preventative maintenance.
- Monitor state of grounds, buildings, structures and fences; relay any repairs needed to supervisor. Ensure repairs/modifications are completed.
- Assist Environmental Technicians with projects as requested or assigned.
- Ensure familiarity with duties/tasks checklists: Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Annual.
- Ensure all equipment and vehicles are in good condition and functioning properly. Report any issues to supervisor and ensure repairs/modifications are completed in a timely manner.
- Aid in maintaining storage areas, work spaces, shop and grounds in a neat and orderly fashion. Develop new strategies to improve storage, transfer, and care of equipment.
- Learn correct use and maintenance of radio equipment.
- Assist and participate in all departmental activities, including meetings.
- Aid in monitoring the well-being of the animals throughout the day; report any concerns to supervisor and animal care staff.
- Maintain proper reporting and records when required, in line with Zoo protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
Maintenance Technicians will:
- Assure work, equipment, work areas, and self, represent the Zoo in a safe, clean, professional, and orderly manner at all times.
- Adhere to Zoo, OSHA and other regulatory safety standards, procedures, and safety protocols.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and order throughout the campus.
- Recognize that animal welfare is one of our key measures of health and well-being for each individual animal. As such:
- Report any behavioral issues, by animals, visitors or staff/volunteers that you believe is concerning or adversely affecting an animal’s well-being.
- Maintain safe distances from animals and exhibits while completing duties.
- Communicate with animal care staff when entering or exiting buildings/areas where animals are housed or have access.
- Will not interact with the animals unless in the company of animal care staff and provided with specific permission and guidance.
- Adhere to appropriate uniform/dress code protocols.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times while representing the Utica Zoo.
- Possess a task-oriented, problem-solving attitude, willing to lead by example.
- Remain open to suggestions from staff on improving the Utica Zoo’s work environment, while aiding other staff in working towards our mission.
- Demonstrate personal flexibility, ensuring a progressive, dynamic work environment.
- Readily communicate concerns and propose solutions.
- Provide excellent guest experiences.
Education and Pre-Requisites:
- Strong interest in care of buildings and grounds, with a minimum of 1 year of experience. Experience with related equipment and vehicles preferred. Priority given to candidates holding applicable training, certifications or licenses.
- Goal-oriented, exhibiting good follow-through and time management skills.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings and special events as scheduled or requested.
- Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform duties.
- Basic ability to repair and maintain zoo equipment, structures and facilities.
- Ability to relate positively with a diverse staff and diverse groups of visitors.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform basic math.
- Able to regularly engage in all physical requirements and lift/carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Able to actively work in inclement weather conditions year-round.
- High school or GED diploma, or equivalent combination of training and/or experience required.
- Must submit to a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Must being willing to receive TB test annually.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid New York driver’s license within six months of employ.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and have the physical ability to perform strenuous work. Must be capable of lifting 50 lbs or more.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Utica Zoo is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Utica, NY 13501: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.20 per hour; Union negotiations are pending; starting salary modifications may occur when negotiations are complete.
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance