Zoo Camp Counselor
The Zoo Camp Counselor is a member of the Utica Zoo’s education team reporting to the Zoo Camp Coordinator and Lead Education Specialist. The Zoo Camp Counselor facilitates the seasonal camp program, supervising and managing a classroom of 10-16 campers, with support from the Zoo Camp Coordinator. Activities the Zoo Camp Counselor will assist with include guided tours, crafts, animal presentations, games, animal enrichment and free play.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Ability to work the Summer camp season, from June 27th to August 26th (or September 2nd)
- Facilitate hands-on camp activities, including crafts, games, guided tours, and animal enrichment projects
- Actively engage with campers during activities
- Supervise campers and provide excellent group/classroom management
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom
- Assist with classroom and activity set up and clean up01
- Understand and employ best practices in conservation messaging to connect zoo campers to conservation issues, threats, and solutions with the goal of encouraging environmental stewardship.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES:
- Preference given to candidates working towards or that have completed a degree in a formal or environmental education field.
- Experience working with children of varying ages in a classroom or camp setting.
- Must be comfortable working in close proximity to wild and domestic animals in a zoo setting.
- Ability to interact with a variety of constituencies, ages, and learning abilities while maintaining a positive and respectful attitude.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to balance.
- Must successfully pass a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Proof of a negative TB test and COVID-19 vaccination within 6 months of start date.
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Seasonal
Pay: Starting from $14.20 per hour