Animal Enrichment Internship
Mission: “Utica Zoo creates unique experiences and promotes public appreciation of wildlife through education, conservation, and recreation.”
This internship is catered towards college students and graduates, 18 years or older, who are interested in gaining experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating animal enrichment. The Utica Zoo is currently looking for candidates that are self-motivated, flexible, and have excellent time-management and organizational skills.
The selected candidate will be working full-time assisting the Enrichment Coordinator in cataloging, designing, and evaluating animal enrichment for the Utica Zoo’s animal collection.
- Create an inventory of enrichment items
- Use the S.P.I.D.E.R. process to improve our enrichment program
- Build and evaluate new enrichment
- Assist in creating enriching environments for our animals
- Present formal interpretive educational programs for guests
- Be enrolled in college/university or have already graduated with a degree in animal behavior, zoology, biology, or a related field.
- Have experience working around exotic and/or domestic animals.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills and have the ability to work both independently and as a team.
- Have strong organization skills
- Be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Have a negative COVID-19 test or proof of a COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to the start date.
- Additionally, we require a negative TB test within the last year.
- Have the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and can stand for long periods of time, stoop, climb, and lift at least 50 pounds.
- Be able to tolerate the presence of animal fur, feathers, and bedding.
Internship will be from May 30, 2023 – August 4, 2023. Work schedule is 40 hours/week with 360 hours total for internship completion. Interns must be flexible with their schedule, and have the ability to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
This is an unpaid internship opportunity. Dorm housing is available at the local community college for a fee. Interns must provide their own transportation.
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Slabaugh, at email@example.com. Deadline to apply: April 15, 2023.