Under the direction of the Superintendent of Buildings, Grounds and Project Management, provides daily care and upkeep of the Utica Zoo campus. This includes, but is not limited to: restrooms, operations and event buildings, grounds, planters, structures and fences. This position is critical creating a positive first impression and overall welcoming experience for visitors to the zoo.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Perform general environmental cleaning duties as directed by supervisor.
- Daily clean-up of Zoo campus, and all public areas.
- Provide environmental support for special events and rentals as scheduled or requested.
- Monitor health of plants and trees on and surrounding the Zoo campus; aid in clearing weeds, fallen branches/leaves, and compromised trees. Develop an understanding of plant toxicity to animals to maintain a safe environment for the animals, and to aid in providing animal care staff with browse, limbs, and other resources to aid in husbandry goals.
- Storage, inventory and ordering of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Schedule daily operational duties, special projects, and preventative maintenance.
- Monitor the state of grounds, buildings, structures and fences; relay any repairs needed to supervisor and Maintenance Technicians.
- Assist Maintenance Technicians with projects as requested or assigned.
- Ensure familiarity with duties/tasks checklists: Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Annual.
- Ensure all equipment and vehicles are in good condition and functioning properly. Report any issues to supervisor and ensure repairs/modifications are completed in a timely manner.
- Aid in maintaining storage areas, work spaces, shop and grounds in a neat and orderly fashion. Develop new strategies to improve storage, transfer, and care of equipment.
- Assist and participate in all departmental activities, including meetings.
- Aid in monitoring the well-being of the animals throughout the day; report any concerns to supervisor and animal care staff.
- Maintain proper reporting and records when required, in line with Zoo protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
Environmental Technicians Will:
- Assure work, equipment, work areas, and self, represent the Zoo in a safe, clean, professional, and orderly manner at all times.
- Adhere to Zoo, OSHA and other regulatory safety standards, procedures, and safety protocols.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and order throughout the campus.
- Adhere to appropriate uniform/dress code protocols.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times while representing the Utica Zoo.
- Possess a task-oriented, problem-solving attitude, willing to lead by example.
- Remain open to suggestions from staff on improving the Utica Zoo’s work environment, while aiding other staff in working towards our mission.
- Demonstrate personal flexibility, ensuring a progressive, dynamic work environment.
- Readily communicate concerns and propose solutions.
- Provide excellent guest experiences.
Education and Pre-Requisites:
- Strong interest in care of buildings and grounds, with a minimum of 1 year of experience. Experience with related equipment and vehicles preferred. Priority given to candidates holding applicable training, certifications or licenses.
- Goal-oriented, exhibiting good follow-through and time management skills.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings and special events as scheduled or requested.
- Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Basic ability to repair and maintain zoo equipment, structures and facilities.
- Ability to relate positively with a diverse staff and diverse groups of visitors.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform basic math.
- Able to regularly engage in all physical requirements and be lift/carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Able to actively work in inclement weather conditions year-round.
- High School graduate or equivalent combination of training and/or experience required.
- Must successfully pass a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Must be current on Covid-19 vaccinations and participate in annual TB testing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Compensation and Benefits:
Job Type: Full-Time OR Part-Time
Pay: Starting at $14.20 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- CSEA representation
Benefits (If Full-Time):
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance